6/22/08

Summer is my favorite time of the year!!

Sorry I'm not posting pictures today. We have been enjoying every minute of our summer. It is already going by way to fast. Last weekend we went to Travis' Dad's cabin in Kanaab with our friends Gabe and Jori and their two kids. I was so mad because we couldn't find our camera. I thought for sure Jori would bring hers, but she forgot hers. So we have no pictures of our fun weekend. We had a great time fishing. Travis couldn't believe how big the trout were. Karissa caught the biggest fish that was 23 inches. Travis had a great time fly fishing. This was the first time that Caden and Matthew actually stayed and fished all day with Travis. Luke renamed the ponds to rainbow hog lake. Jori and I just laughed because all we heard was "check out this hog!!" Gabe brought his four seater quad. We also had two four wheelers. One of the afternoons we took a 4 wheeler ride up to the pink cliffs. I can't even explain how beautiful it was. The kids loved taking turns driving the quads. I wish I had a picture of Jori and I with our big bellys riding in the rhino. Travis made one of the best dutch oven dinners and cobbler. He actually got on line and looked for some good recipes. It turned out to be a great memorable weekend. Thanks Gabe and Jori for going with us. We had a great time!!

This weekend Trav and I took the kids in the pop up trailer right behind our house. We did this last year and the kids loved it. Its a great way to enjoy the outdoors without spending any money. We drove seriously 5 minutes to this amazing spot with a great view of the peaks. We roasted hotdogs, made a great dutch oven cobbler and Travis sauted some mushrooms. The kids went exploring. Its so fun to see how excited they get over the "treasures" they find. Matthew found an arrow from a bow and arrow. He couldn't stop playing with it the whole time
Trav and I sat by the fire and read. I was able to finish Stepheni Meyers book, "The Host." Great book! I am amazed at how creative she is with her writing. Travis would be embarressed if you knew he just finished her other books, the "Twilight" series. He wanted to know what all the talk was about and so he started Twight and couldn't stop. Mark makes fun of him, but I bet Mark is secretly reading them himself. I can see him now with his flash light trying to finish just one more chapter. Anyway, Its been fun reading together.

I have been getting up and walking to the athletic club. I lift weights there and then I walk home. The mornings are so beautiful here. Plus, even though I feel so big and pregnant, it makes me have such a better day when I work out. We have been having swim lessons at the club. The boys loved it so much that I signed them up again. We will probably do another session in July as well. My goal is to get them pretty good at it before we go to Lake powell in September. I usually pack a lunch and then we spend the rest of our afternoon just hanging out at the pool. My kids are at such great ages that I am able to just sit and read while they play in the pool. I think I enjoy it just as much as the kids.

I signed the kids up for a reading program at our library. They have to read a certain amount and then they go back and get a prize. The theme this summer is bugs. So all the prizes have something to do with bugs. Well, my kids have been all over it. I am amazed at how excited they have been to earn their prizes. A proud moment for me is when I walk into their room and they are reading books. I really want them to have the joy of reading good books.

We don't have any big trips planned for awhile except that Travis is going fishing in Alaska with his Dad and brothers July 11th. I will be 36 weeks, but I plan to drive to St. George and stay with Michelle for that week. She is probably going to have her baby that week. So that will be a lot of fun being with her. Were just hoping they get their splash pad in before we come! JK

2 comments:

Cameron and Michelle said...

Hey Laur, You have just motivated me to do some more fun things with the kids because the summer is going by way too fast. One of our hightlights will be having you guys stay with us.

Laurie said...

Summer is my favorite time of year too! Sounds like you're having some good adventures and experiences with the kids. You're such a good mom.